Young People Now A Days
By Connie Lavy

With a twinkle in her eyes Emily excitedly pulled out of the drive and started on her journey. “I’ve never been late for lunch and I won’t start today!” she said as she drove to see her adult children in a neighboring town. This is our annual family gathering to remember papa. I know that I can make it,” Emily said as she pushed the accelerator to the floor.

Reaching over to pick up a falling paper and swerving. She looks up and squeals, “What in the world is that man doing? I have never seen a man jump purposefully in a mud puddle before. What some people won’t do for a little attention. I just don’t know about young people now a days. He’s crazy!”

Emily is thinking, “It must be foggy outside. It’s just a little blurry, maybe I’ll just clean my glasses.” Reaching up she pulls off her glasses, pulls the hankie out of her blouse top, and rubs off the lens’. “Trying to steer and clean my glasses isn’t as easy as it was 50 years ago,” she thought. “Why is that car running off the side of the road? I just don’t know about these young drivers now a days!”

Smiling Emily reminisces about former days. “ Papa was a big man. Kindly loved by everyone including his two children, John and Sarah. We had so much fun swimming, camping, and sledding. I miss papa.” She said to herself.

Picking off a mailbox after coming up out of the ditch, Emily says loudly, “Why in the world would anyone put a mail box right on the road? You’d think they would be more considerate that that! Someone’s going to have fun picking up all his letters in that mud. Just serves them right. These young folks now a days!”

Today reminds me of the day Papa forgot his umbrella and boots. He was walking home from the neighbors when it started a downpour. No place to get in to keep dry. He got home and went to the outbuilding and took off his outer clothes to keep my floors from getting wet. He runs in the front door with nothing but his long underwear on and meets the new minister and his wife as they are leaving. Everyone was shocked! Papa’s face was so red!

“Well, why in the world, would a car just sit there and not move. Guess I’d just better go around them. Hey why are you honking at me, you nit wit, you almost hit me in the side. Boy, these young people now a days, they just don’t know how to drive.”

“I remember when papa decided to surprise the children and take them on a holiday trip.” thought Emily. “We hid our luggage under some blankets in the back of the wagon. Picked the kids up playing down the road and started off. They fell asleep on some straw and a cover in the back of the wagon. When they woke up it was almost night.” Both said in unison, “Where are we?” Smiling, Emily thought, “Such fun, the good old days.”

“Wonder what all those people are looking at? I don’t see anything; oh wait a minute that looks like laundry on the back of my car. Sure is a funny way for people to dry their clothes. I sure don’t know what to think of young people now a days.

“Say, look at the pretty lights!” Emily says as she pulls to a stop. She rolls down her window and says, “Hello young man do you need help?”

“Lady, I need to see your drivers license”, frowned the officer. “Yes sir,” replied Emily pushing her cockeyed glasses higher on her nose and reaching over for her purse. Pulling out her knitting needles, scissors, magnifying glass, safety pins, milk of magnesia, vitamins and an apple, she finally finds her license.

“Lady is this some kind of joke?’ the officer scowls, “this is a hand made license.” Looking sheepishly with her glasses cocked on her face again she grins,”Yes, sir, I failed my eye exam 20 yrs. Ago and I had to make my own license because they would not give me one. I just couldn’t break the law. You know I am 95 years old. I should not even have to have a drivers liscense with the driving experience that I have.”

Sitting in the seat of the cruiser, Emily’s thinking, “How considerate of this young officer to take me to town. Young people sure are nice these days.”




Connie Lavy (c) 2006

No comments: